U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 3.15%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Basic Materials , Oil & Gas and Industrials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 3.15% to hit a new 3-month low, while the S&P 500 index lost 3.03%, and the NASDAQ Composite index fell 2.77%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which fell 0.67% or 1.42 points to trade at 212.10 at the close. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) fell 0.86% or 1.26 points to end at 144.65 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was down 0.97% or 2.32 points to 237.38 in late trade.
Biggest losers included American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which lost 5.69% or 7.29 points to trade at 120.90 in late trade. United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) declined 5.30% or 7.77 points to end at 138.81 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) shed 5.23% or 10.39 points to 188.40.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which rose 5.66% to 23.35, Xerox Corp (NYSE: XRX ) which was up 4.59% to settle at 36.46 and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: REGN ) which gained 3.99% to close at 442.35.
The worst performers were American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which was down 9.16% to 23.12 in late trade, Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which lost 8.33% to settle at 36.19 and Southwest Airlines Company (NYSE: LUV ) which was down 8.22% to 49.66 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Spherix Inc (NASDAQ: SPEX ) which rose 136.89% to 2.440, Nemaura Medical Inc (NASDAQ: NMRD ) which was up 76.29% to settle at 5.80 and Cocrystal Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: COCP ) which gained 64.66% to close at 2.1900.
The worst performers were Imv Inc (NASDAQ: IMV ) which was down 39.96% to 2.87 in late trade, Cornerstone OnDemand Inc (NASDAQ: CSOD ) which lost 28.39% to settle at 39.42 and Lipocine Inc (NASDAQ: LPCN ) which was down 27.60% to 0.5575 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2621 to 280 and 33 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2354 fell and 336 advanced, while 51 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 11.27% to 27.85 a new 52-week high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 2.36% or 39.55 to $1637.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 2.61% or 1.34 to hit $50.09 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.07% or 0.04 to trade at $54.30 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.0882, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 110.19.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.37% at 98.912.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or