The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 0.23% or 0.11 points to trade at 48.80 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) fell 0.73% or 0.85 points to end at 115.92 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) was down 1.02% or 1.47 points to 142.01 in late trade.
Biggest losers included United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ), which lost 9.06% or 12.60 points to trade at 126.44 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 8.04% or 22.75 points to end at 260.37 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 4.91% or 5.88 points to 113.97.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Kroger Company (NYSE: KR ) which rose 8.11% to 33.47, Citrix Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CTXS ) which was up 6.08% to settle at 116.46 and Smith AO Corporation (NYSE: AOS ) which gained 2.61% to close at 41.63.
The worst performers were Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which was down 16.29% to 65.78 in late trade, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which lost 14.14% to settle at 27.87 and American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which was down 13.44% to 16.04 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were The Dixie Group Inc (NASDAQ: DXYN ) which rose 29.51% to 1.320, Trinity Biotech plc (NASDAQ: TRIB ) which was up 28.00% to settle at 1.280 and Correvio Pharma Corp (NASDAQ: CORV ) which gained 25.16% to close at 0.5000.
The worst performers were SenesTech Inc (NASDAQ: SNES ) which was down 28.82% to 2.0500 in late trade, Liberty Tripadvisor Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: LTRPB ) which lost 23.54% to settle at 5.10 and CalAmp Corp (NASDAQ: CAMP ) which was down 22.56% to 7.69 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2500 to 350 and 34 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2247 fell and 433 advanced, while 48 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 23.85% to 39.62.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.82% or 29.85 to $1672.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 1.67% or 0.78 to hit $46.00 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.08% or 0.04 to trade at $50.09 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.03% to 1.1236, while USD/JPY fell 0.09% to 106.06.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.78% at 96.552.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.