The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which rose 2.60% or 2.79 points to trade at 110.17 at the close. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) added 1.30% or 1.28 points to end at 99.95 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was down 0.22% or 0.24 points to 109.58 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 10.27% or 18.55 points to trade at 162.00 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 9.95% or 7.60 points to end at 68.78 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 8.50% or 8.96 points to 96.40.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Extra Space Storage Inc (NYSE: EXR ) which rose 6.89% to 96.02, AvalonBay Communities Inc (NYSE: AVB ) which was up 6.10% to settle at 160.27 and United Dominion Realty Trust Inc (NYSE: UDR ) which gained 6.04% to close at 37.94.
The worst performers were Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was down 23.49% to 12.02 in late trade, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which lost 19.14% to settle at 14.41 and Apache Corporation (NYSE: APA ) which was down 15.62% to 4.86 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Top Ships Inc (NASDAQ: TOPS ) which rose 193.12% to 0.2345, BIO-Key International Inc (NASDAQ: BKYI ) which was up 94.41% to settle at 1.0500 and Edtechx Holdings Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: EDTX ) which gained 49.78% to close at 17.00.
The worst performers were Arbutus Biopharma Corp (NASDAQ: ABUS ) which was down 46.46% to 1.21 in late trade, Chanticleer Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: BURG ) which lost 37.97% to settle at 0.4900 and The Michaels Companies Inc (NASDAQ: MIK ) which was down 27.12% to 2.02 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2270 to 640 and 26 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2063 fell and 647 advanced, while 29 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 7.44% to 65.54.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.25% or 20.60 to $1630.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 3.36% or 0.76 to hit $21.84 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 4.86% or 1.28 to trade at $25.06 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 1.04% to 1.1143, while USD/JPY fell 1.50% to 107.94.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 1.04% at 98.422.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.