The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which fell 0.79% or 2.22 points to trade at 277.78 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) fell 2.29% or 1.95 points to end at 83.03 and Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) was down 2.70% or 1.45 points to 52.21 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 18.15% or 41.93 points to trade at 189.08 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 10.86% or 3.41 points to end at 27.99 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) shed 9.94% or 11.86 points to 107.51.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Linde PLC (DE: LINI ) which rose 3.94% to 154.150, Digital Realty Trust Inc (NYSE: DLR ) which was up 1.90% to settle at 137.00 and Gilead Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: GILD ) which gained 1.88% to close at 73.70.
The worst performers were Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was down 26.68% to 15.03 in late trade, Apache Corporation (NYSE: APA ) which lost 23.54% to settle at 8.25 and Noble Energy Inc (NASDAQ: NBL ) which was down 20.09% to 7.40 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were BIO-Key International Inc (NASDAQ: BKYI ) which rose 140.77% to 1.1800, Tiziana Life Sciences PLC ADR (NASDAQ: TLSA ) which was up 95.54% to settle at 3.950 and Co-Diagnostics Inc (NASDAQ: CODX ) which gained 91.29% to close at 13.180.
The worst performers were Sophiris Bio Inc (NASDAQ: SPHS ) which was down 60.30% to 0.2300 in late trade, Sonim Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SONM ) which lost 52.22% to settle at 0.92 and Clean Energy Fuels Corp (NASDAQ: CLNE ) which was down 34.65% to 1.320 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2757 to 152 and 22 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2417 fell and 295 advanced, while 26 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 13.95% to 53.90.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.36% or 5.90 to $1640.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.72% or 0.24 to hit $33.37 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.58% or 0.21 to trade at $35.84 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.04% to 1.1262, while USD/JPY fell 0.11% to 104.42.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.17% at 96.550.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.