Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Utilities , Basic Materials and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Financials , Telecoms and Healthcare sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 1.94% or 5.41 points to trade at 284.41 at the close. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) added 1.92% or 2.95 points to end at 156.30 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was up 1.17% or 3.43 points to 296.31 in late trade.
Biggest losers included American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which lost 3.54% or 6.19 points to trade at 168.72 in late trade. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) declined 2.64% or 4.36 points to end at 161.00 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 1.44% or 0.83 points to 56.91.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which rose 3.92% to 109.16, BlackRock Inc (NYSE: BLK ) which was up 3.78% to settle at 867.81 and Discovery Inc Class A (NASDAQ: DISCA ) which gained 3.74% to close at 25.50.
The worst performers were Delta Air Lines Inc (NYSE: DAL ) which was down 5.76% to 41.03 in late trade, Align Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ALGN ) which lost 4.97% to settle at 596.22 and United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which was down 3.60% to 47.88 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Jasper Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: JSPR ) which rose 105.13% to 14.790, Waitr Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WTRH ) which was up 58.45% to settle at 1.2700 and Sono-Tek Corp (NASDAQ: SOTK ) which gained 44.22% to close at 6.4900.
The worst performers were Regulus Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RGLS ) which was down 29.88% to 0.5326 in late trade, Neuroone Medical Technologies Corp (NASDAQ: NMTC ) which lost 29.37% to settle at 2.910 and DatChat Inc (NASDAQ: DATS ) which was down 26.72% to 11.00 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1959 to 1212 and 164 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2055 rose and 1556 declined, while 174 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.10% to 18.64.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 1.97% or 34.65 to $1793.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 0.10% or 0.08 to hit $80.56 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 0.17% or 0.14 to trade at $83.28 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.58% to 1.1594, while USD/JPY fell 0.28% to 113.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.52% at 94.028.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.