Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Consumer Goods , Consumer Services and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Telecoms and Basic Materials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 2.35% or 3.73 points to trade at 162.18 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 1.78% or 6.39 points to end at 364.62 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 1.65% or 7.19 points to 442.28 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 9.56% or 13.57 points to trade at 128.33 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 1.25% or 1.42 points to end at 111.74 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 1.19% or 2.13 points to 177.47.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which rose 6.93% to 30.57, Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (NASDAQ: TTWO ) which was up 4.93% to settle at 182.06 and Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which gained 4.48% to close at 653.16.
The worst performers were International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) which was down 9.56% to 128.33 in late trade, TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which lost 8.16% to settle at 7.430 and Snap-On Inc (NYSE: SNA ) which was down 6.80% to 212.51 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Digital World Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: DWAC ) which rose 356.83% to 45.50, Phunware Inc (NASDAQ: PHUN ) which was up 45.71% to settle at 1.5300 and TriState Capital Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: TSC ) which gained 36.26% to close at 31.00.
The worst performers were Xiaobai Maimai Inc (NASDAQ: HX ) which was down 51.56% to 9.1400 in late trade, Puhui Wealth Investment Management Co Ltd (NASDAQ: PHCF ) which lost 22.09% to settle at 1.940 and Covenant Logistics Group Inc (NASDAQ: CVLG ) which was down 21.31% to 27.14 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1736 to 1467 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1840 rose and 1790 declined, while 162 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.10% to 15.01 a new 52-week low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.06% or 1.15 to $1783.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 0.91% or 0.76 to hit $82.66 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 1.22% or 1.05 to trade at $84.77 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.23% to 1.1623, while USD/JPY fell 0.21% to 114.03.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.25% at 93.773.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.