Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Consumer Services , Oil & Gas and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Basic Materials , Telecoms and Utilities sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 3.04% or 6.46 points to trade at 219.23 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 2.60% or 3.86 points to end at 152.56 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 2.43% or 8.72 points to 367.60 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 2.23% or 3.66 points to trade at 160.73 in late trade. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) declined 1.82% or 0.90 points to end at 48.60 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 1.59% or 2.61 points to 161.53.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ: AMZN ) which rose 13.54% to 3152.79, NortonLifeLock Inc (NASDAQ: NLOK ) which was up 8.71% to settle at 27.59 and Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (NASDAQ: TTWO ) which gained 7.35% to close at 175.00.
The worst performers were Clorox Co (NYSE: CLX ) which was down 14.47% to 141.41 in late trade, Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F ) which lost 9.70% to settle at 17.96 and Newell Brands Inc (NASDAQ: NWL ) which was down 8.53% to 21.33 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which rose 31.17% to 3.030, eGain Corporation (NASDAQ: EGAN ) which was up 26.82% to settle at 12.74 and Iradimed Co (NASDAQ: IRMD ) which gained 23.66% to close at 48.60.
The worst performers were SkyWest Inc (NASDAQ: SKYW ) which was down 22.37% to 29.47 in late trade, G Medical Innovations Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: GMVD ) which lost 21.80% to settle at 3.30 and Vanda Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: VNDA ) which was down 17.88% to 12.03 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 0 to 0; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 0 fell and 0 advanced on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.64% to 23.22.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.27% or 4.80 to $1808.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 1.86% or 1.68 to hit $91.95 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 1.83% or 1.67 to trade at $92.78 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.10% to 1.1449, while USD/JPY rose 0.22% to 115.21.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.08% at 95.455.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.