Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Utilities , Financials and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Consumer Services and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which rose 1.39% or 2.89 points to trade at 210.29 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 1.10% or 2.67 points to end at 245.03 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 1.05% or 1.41 points to 135.87 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 2.34% or 3.61 points to trade at 150.70 in late trade. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) declined 1.34% or 0.72 points to end at 52.85 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 1.24% or 1.73 points to 137.99.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Expedia Inc (NASDAQ: EXPE ) which rose 11.04% to 122.80, NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which was up 7.02% to settle at 289.79 and Mohawk Industries Inc (NYSE: MHK ) which gained 4.03% to close at 137.98.
The worst performers were IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IPGP ) which was down 6.99% to 139.49 in late trade, Arista Networks (NYSE: ANET ) which lost 5.95% to settle at 223.47 and American International Group Inc (NYSE: AIG ) which was down 4.81% to 48.48 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Summer Infant Inc (NASDAQ: SUMR ) which rose 269.55% to 1.0000, Genprex Inc (NASDAQ: GNPX ) which was up 56.20% to settle at 4.2800 and BioXcel Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BTAI ) which gained 55.01% to close at 36.97.
The worst performers were Pulse Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: PLSE ) which was down 29.80% to 8.55 in late trade, CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG ) which lost 26.54% to settle at 25.05 and LivePerson Inc (NASDAQ: LPSN ) which was down 24.50% to 33.96 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 117 to 108 and 13 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 0 fell and 0 advanced on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was unchanged 0.00% to 13.68.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.14% or 2.30 to $1584.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.50% or 0.26 to hit $52.58 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $57.55 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.0837, while USD/JPY fell 0.05% to 109.82.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 99.065.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.