Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Financials and Healthcare sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which rose 2.12% or 1.88 points to trade at 90.56 at the close. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) added 1.77% or 3.05 points to end at 175.55 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) was up 1.75% or 5.29 points to 308.18 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 3.17% or 1.87 points to trade at 57.18 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 2.37% or 9.90 points to end at 408.00 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 2.34% or 3.76 points to 156.50.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM ) which rose 12.80% to 156.21, Lumen Technologies Inc (NYSE: LUMN ) which was up 12.64% to settle at 13.72 and NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which gained 12.00% to close at 297.90.
The worst performers were DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH ) which was down 13.95% to 37.08 in late trade, Qorvo Inc (NASDAQ: QRVO ) which lost 13.28% to settle at 154.47 and NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which was down 11.10% to 35.56 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Evaxion Biotech AS (NASDAQ: EVAX ) which rose 96.15% to 12.750, TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which was up 82.28% to settle at 4.320 and Cassava Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: SAVA ) which gained 48.96% to close at 84.40.
The worst performers were Vimeo Inc (NASDAQ: VMEO ) which was down 30.07% to 24.49 in late trade, Rimini Street Inc (NASDAQ: RMNI ) which lost 29.60% to settle at 7.955 and Qurate Retail Inc Series A (NASDAQ: QRTEA ) which was down 27.47% to 8.21 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1863 to 1350 and 138 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2118 fell and 1531 advanced, while 164 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.25% to 15.44.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 1.66% or 29.30 to $1793.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 1.99% or 1.61 to hit $79.25 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 1.45% or 1.19 to trade at $80.80 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.46% to 1.1557, while USD/JPY fell 0.19% to 113.76.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.50% at 94.323.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.