Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Consumer Services , Technology and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Telecoms and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 1.50% or 4.87 points to trade at 330.60 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) added 1.41% or 0.53 points to end at 38.04 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 1.10% or 0.63 points to 57.96 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 10.58% or 5.70 points to trade at 48.20 in late trade. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) declined 3.64% or 3.81 points to end at 100.98 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) shed 1.13% or 0.83 points to 72.57.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which rose 5.60% to 14.33, SVB Financial Group (NASDAQ: SIVB ) which was up 3.97% to settle at 296.38 and Flowserve Corporation (NYSE: FLS ) which gained 3.93% to close at 31.75.
The worst performers were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) which was down 10.58% to 48.20 in late trade, Robert Half International Inc (NYSE: RHI ) which lost 8.26% to settle at 51.67 and TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which was down 5.69% to 6.47 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Socket Mobile Inc (NASDAQ: SCKT ) which rose 74.66% to 2.550, Marin Software Inc (NASDAQ: MRIN ) which was up 62.74% to settle at 3.450 and Youngevity International Inc (NASDAQ: YGYI ) which gained 55.15% to close at 0.729.
The worst performers were BiondVax Pharmaceuticals Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: BVXV ) which was down 86.27% to 5.20 in late trade, Iterum Therapeutics PLC (NASDAQ: ITRM ) which lost 44.71% to settle at 0.53 and Limelight Networks Inc (NASDAQ: LLNW ) which was down 31.98% to 4.20 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1878 to 1153 and 104 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1726 rose and 1152 declined, while 95 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.99% to 27.55.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.03% or 0.60 to $1904.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 2.19% or 0.89 to hit $39.75 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 1.93% or 0.82 to trade at $41.64 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.39% to 1.1862, while USD/JPY fell 0.10% to 104.72.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.26% at 92.722.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.