U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.10%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Telecoms and Healthcare sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.10%, while the S&P 500 index climbed 0.34%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 0.84%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 1.88% or 7.62 points to trade at 413.69 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 1.31% or 4.60 points to end at 355.01 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 1.18% or 1.71 points to 146.55 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 3.01% or 5.32 points to trade at 171.14 in late trade. Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) declined 2.27% or 4.71 points to end at 203.13 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 1.77% or 2.76 points to 152.88.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which rose 17.51% to 28.25, Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was up 5.48% to settle at 29.62 and Helmerich and Payne Inc (NYSE: HP ) which gained 4.67% to close at 34.29.
The worst performers were Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which was down 5.66% to 16.33 in late trade, Medtronic PLC (NYSE: MDT ) which lost 5.50% to settle at 120.72 and NetApp Inc (NASDAQ: NTAP ) which was down 4.32% to 90.34 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Valneva SE ADR (NASDAQ: VALN ) which rose 39.79% to 39.21, Progenity Inc (NASDAQ: PROG ) which was up 39.72% to settle at 2.990 and MeiraGTx Holdings PLC (NASDAQ: MGTX ) which gained 29.97% to close at 18.56.
The worst performers were Revance The (NASDAQ: RVNC ) which was down 39.19% to 13.81 in late trade, Omeros Corporation (NASDAQ: OMER ) which lost 26.65% to settle at 5.67 and NXT-ID Inc (NASDAQ: NXTD ) which was down 20.88% to 3.1300 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1625 to 1577 and 135 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2022 fell and 1580 advanced, while 172 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.06% to 16.31.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.20% or 3.55 to $1764.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 0.21% or 0.17 to hit $81.56 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 0.82% or 0.70 to trade at $84.16 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.10% to 1.1610, while USD/JPY rose 0.10% to 114.33.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.03% at 93.970.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or