Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Healthcare and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Industrials and Utilities sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which rose 1.68% or 2.70 points to trade at 163.27 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 0.91% or 3.01 points to end at 334.22 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) was up 0.59% or 1.41 points to 240.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 4.17% or 7.44 points to trade at 171.17 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) declined 1.17% or 2.11 points to end at 178.42 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 1.16% or 0.65 points to 55.53.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which rose 8.45% to 17.72, ConocoPhillips (NYSE: COP ) which was up 3.96% to settle at 59.33 and AutoZone Inc (NYSE: AZO ) which gained 3.65% to close at 1643.07.
The worst performers were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) which was down 4.17% to 171.17 in late trade, Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI ) which lost 4.13% to settle at 73.03 and Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was down 4.07% to 78.77 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Rewalk Robotics Ltd (NASDAQ: RWLK ) which rose 99.23% to 2.5900, Helbiz Inc (NASDAQ: HLBZ ) which was up 96.17% to settle at 28.17 and Ensysce Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: ENSC ) which gained 53.75% to close at 4.72.
The worst performers were Edesa Biotech Inc (NASDAQ: EDSA ) which was down 29.87% to 8.360 in late trade, Discovery Communications B Inc (NASDAQ: DISCB ) which lost 29.08% to settle at 47.87 and Ucloudlink Group Inc (NASDAQ: UCL ) which was down 17.72% to 5.06 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1729 to 1417 and 115 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1973 rose and 1529 declined, while 143 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.25% to 24.36.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.64% or 11.35 to $1775.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 0.71% or 0.50 to hit $70.64 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.80% or 0.59 to trade at $74.51 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1725, while USD/JPY fell 0.18% to 109.19.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.05% at 93.213.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.