Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Oil & Gas and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Technology and Healthcare sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 1.05% or 1.63 points to trade at 156.35 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 0.76% or 1.19 points to end at 158.01 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was up 0.63% or 0.91 points to 146.49 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 1.17% or 2.51 points to trade at 211.74 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) declined 1.09% or 1.71 points to end at 155.63 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 1.07% or 3.89 points to 360.05.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Generac Holdlings Inc (NYSE: GNRC ) which rose 14.36% to 316.44, ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which was up 6.80% to settle at 325.42 and Westinghouse Air Brake Technologies Corp (NYSE: WAB ) which gained 6.44% to close at 95.51.
The worst performers were ViacomCBS Inc (NASDAQ: VIAC ) which was down 17.81% to 29.58 in late trade, Akamai Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: AKAM ) which lost 5.56% to settle at 104.86 and Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which was down 5.28% to 140.41 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Hookipa Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: HOOK ) which rose 54.48% to 2.070, Upstart Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UPST ) which was up 35.65% to settle at 148.01 and Satellogic V Inc (NASDAQ: SATL ) which gained 27.51% to close at 7.230.
The worst performers were Avenue Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ATXI ) which was down 48.69% to 0.313 in late trade, Masimo Corporation (NASDAQ: MASI ) which lost 36.99% to settle at 144.20 and Baudax Bio Inc (NASDAQ: BXRX ) which was down 26.78% to 4.6000 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2038 to 1185 and 127 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1922 rose and 1896 declined, while 211 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.49% to 24.29.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.82% or 15.30 to $1871.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.52% or 1.40 to hit $90.67 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.26% or 0.24 to trade at $91.99 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1375, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 115.46.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.18% at 95.820.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.