Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Consumer Services , Technology and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Utilities and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 2.85% or 4.38 points to trade at 157.87 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 2.79% or 11.00 points to end at 405.85 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 0.86% or 1.22 points to 143.16 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which lost 5.51% or 3.13 points to trade at 53.63 in late trade. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) declined 1.89% or 3.40 points to end at 176.21 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 1.70% or 3.09 points to 178.77.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which rose 21.17% to 37.37, Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which was up 10.62% to settle at 62.48 and NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which gained 8.25% to close at 316.75.
The worst performers were Helmerich and Payne Inc (NYSE: HP ) which was down 16.48% to 26.16 in late trade, Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which lost 8.48% to settle at 11.76 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) which was down 5.51% to 53.63 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Longeveron LLC (NASDAQ: LGVN ) which rose 135.27% to 6.870, Dicerna Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: DRNA ) which was up 78.71% to settle at 38.03 and Virtuoso Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: VOSO ) which gained 43.95% to close at 14.510.
The worst performers were Amtech Systems Inc (NASDAQ: ASYS ) which was down 26.61% to 11.200 in late trade, Gracell Biotechnologies Inc. (NASDAQ: GRCL ) which lost 22.12% to settle at 8.98 and Femasys Inc (NASDAQ: FEMY ) which was down 20.53% to 5.11 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2145 to 1118 and 121 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2610 fell and 1133 advanced, while 179 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.81% to 17.59.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.45% or 8.45 to $1861.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 0.99% or 0.77 to hit $78.32 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 1.03% or 0.83 to trade at $81.11 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.46% to 1.1371, while USD/JPY rose 0.15% to 114.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.30% at 95.537.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.