Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Consumer Services , Telecoms and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Basic Materials , Oil & Gas and Utilities sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 1.64% or 4.20 points to trade at 260.36 at the close. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) added 0.93% or 2.23 points to end at 243.21 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 0.91% or 3.02 points to 336.39 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 1.31% or 5.27 points to trade at 396.68 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 1.21% or 0.73 points to end at 59.47 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 1.15% or 0.84 points to 71.97.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which rose 3.80% to 22.12, Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was up 3.44% to settle at 27.93 and American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which gained 2.63% to close at 19.89.
The worst performers were Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which was down 6.64% to 34.30 in late trade, Arconic Corp (NYSE: ARNC ) which lost 5.45% to settle at 32.95 and Newmont Goldcorp Corp (NYSE: NEM ) which was down 3.95% to 55.43 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Aeye Inc (NASDAQ: LIDR ) which rose 35.28% to 9.74, Elite Education Group International Ltd (NASDAQ: EEIQ ) which was up 34.02% to settle at 7.840 and Leap Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: LPTX ) which gained 30.57% to close at 2.5200.
The worst performers were Vera Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VERA ) which was down 27.22% to 22.27 in late trade, MacroGenics Inc (NASDAQ: MGNX ) which lost 23.76% to settle at 20.99 and Silverback Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: SBTX ) which was down 22.95% to 12.52 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1809 to 1391 and 125 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1826 rose and 1711 declined, while 181 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.81% to 18.69.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 2.28% or 40.90 to $1753.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to hit $72.61 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.25% or 0.19 to trade at $75.65 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.39% to 1.1769, while USD/JPY rose 0.32% to 109.71.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.33% at 92.835.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.