Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Technology , Healthcare and Utilities sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which rose 3.86% or 2.13 points to trade at 57.28 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 2.55% or 10.66 points to end at 427.98 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was up 2.10% or 6.10 points to 296.83 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 3.17% or 6.95 points to trade at 212.05 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 2.55% or 5.36 points to end at 204.45 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) shed 2.50% or 2.42 points to 94.28.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which rose 19.65% to 21.62, Bath Body Works Inc (NYSE: BBWI ) which was up 10.47% to settle at 65.50 and Synopsys Inc (NASDAQ: SNPS ) which gained 8.74% to close at 316.02.
The worst performers were Illumina Inc (NASDAQ: ILMN ) which was down 7.88% to 470.35 in late trade, Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which lost 5.80% to settle at 22.09 and CF Industries Holdings Inc (NYSE: CF ) which was down 5.31% to 43.34 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Sonnet Biotherapeutics Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SONN ) which rose 66.42% to 1.2400, Sonoma Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SNOA ) which was up 52.31% to settle at 8.240 and Dlocal Ltd (NASDAQ: DLO ) which gained 26.57% to close at 62.38.
The worst performers were PharmaCyte Biotech Inc (NASDAQ: PMCB ) which was down 64.85% to 3.4800 in late trade, Ontrak Inc (NASDAQ: OTRK ) which lost 44.42% to settle at 11.70 and OLB Group Inc (NASDAQ: OLB ) which was down 38.93% to 3.310 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2368 to 863 and 116 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2558 fell and 1009 advanced, while 128 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.46% to 21.67 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.09% or 1.55 to $1782.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 2.02% or 1.32 to hit $63.89 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract fell 1.96% or 1.34 to trade at $66.89 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.29% to 1.1676, while USD/JPY rose 0.03% to 109.77.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.47% at 93.582.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.