U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.21%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Consumer Goods , Oil & Gas and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Basic Materials and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.21%, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.11%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.13%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 1.04% or 1.81 points to trade at 175.31 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 0.98% or 3.51 points to end at 361.04 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 0.93% or 1.53 points to 166.03 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 1.47% or 2.86 points to trade at 192.28 in late trade. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) declined 1.22% or 1.78 points to end at 144.58 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 1.09% or 0.61 points to 55.26.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which rose 5.27% to 656.57, Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which was up 4.97% to settle at 9.080 and Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which gained 4.26% to close at 66.50.
The worst performers were Nov Inc (NYSE: NOV ) which was down 7.44% to 15.05 in late trade, Comcast Corp (NASDAQ: CMCSA ) which lost 3.78% to settle at 55.45 and Fleetcor Technologies Inc (NYSE: FLT ) which was down 2.67% to 255.19 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Entera Bio Ltd (NASDAQ: ENTX ) which rose 44.77% to 6.500, Bellerophon Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BLPH ) which was up 30.39% to settle at 5.320 and Orphazyme (NASDAQ: ORPH ) which gained 24.20% to close at 7.415.
The worst performers were FS Development Corp (NASDAQ: GMTX ) which was down 31.32% to 6.71 in late trade, Torchlight Energy Resources Inc (NASDAQ: TRCH ) which lost 29.71% to settle at 4.920 and Alfi Inc (NASDAQ: ALF ) which was down 25.63% to 12.114 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1657 to 1493 and 147 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2020 rose and 1437 declined, while 140 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.04% to 16.32.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.05% or 0.80 to $1776.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.59% or 0.43 to hit $73.28 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.71% or 0.53 to trade at $75.34 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.11% to 1.1925, while USD/JPY rose 0.32% to 110.99.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.08% at 91.823.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or