Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Technology , Healthcare and Telecoms sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Basic Materials and Oil & Gas sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 1.11% or 2.93 points to trade at 267.08 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 0.79% or 2.60 points to end at 330.34 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 0.46% or 0.69 points to 149.25 in late trade.
Biggest losers included American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which lost 1.70% or 2.75 points to trade at 159.30 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 1.20% or 2.66 points to end at 218.17 and Honeywell International Inc (NASDAQ: HON ) shed 1.13% or 2.61 points to 228.36.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cimarex Energy Co (NYSE: XEC ) which rose 3.13% to 71.55, Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which was up 2.65% to settle at 17.81 and Baxter International Inc (NYSE: BAX ) which gained 2.04% to close at 82.71.
The worst performers were Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 4.61% to 27.08 in late trade, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which lost 4.41% to settle at 22.96 and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which was down 4.22% to 79.43 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Innate Pharma SA (NASDAQ: IPHA ) which rose 45.93% to 6.100, Vera Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VERA ) which was up 32.97% to settle at 25.85 and MongoDB (NASDAQ: MDB ) which gained 26.43% to close at 507.79.
The worst performers were Forte Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: FBRX ) which was down 82.23% to 5.08 in late trade, Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which lost 32.34% to settle at 6.360 and AgileThought Inc (NASDAQ: AGIL ) which was down 31.58% to 16.100 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1916 to 1260 and 145 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2094 fell and 1375 advanced, while 134 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was unchanged 0.00% to 16.41.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 1.05% or 19.05 to $1830.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 1.03% or 0.72 to hit $69.27 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.63% or 0.46 to trade at $72.57 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1876, while USD/JPY fell 0.19% to 109.71.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.10% at 92.140.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.