Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Services and Utilities sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Basic Materials , Financials and Oil & Gas sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 2.50% or 6.01 points to trade at 246.32 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 2.47% or 3.14 points to end at 130.49 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was up 0.77% or 1.99 points to 259.88 in late trade.
Biggest losers included JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ), which lost 1.70% or 2.73 points to trade at 157.56 in late trade. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) declined 1.59% or 0.88 points to end at 54.43 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 1.50% or 1.02 points to 66.98.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were ResMed Inc (NYSE: RMD ) which rose 6.01% to 231.72, MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which was up 3.22% to settle at 455.06 and Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ: ADBE ) which gained 2.89% to close at 556.90.
The worst performers were TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was down 5.51% to 40.65 in late trade, Baker Hughes Co (NYSE: BKR ) which lost 4.52% to settle at 24.74 and Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which was down 4.25% to 33.12 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were RAPT Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RAPT ) which rose 115.24% to 39.97, Enochian Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: ENOB ) which was up 54.20% to settle at 6.80 and Mediaco Holding Inc (NASDAQ: MDIA ) which gained 45.31% to close at 5.58.
The worst performers were Avenue Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ATXI ) which was down 28.50% to 3.01 in late trade, Recon Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: RCON ) which lost 19.87% to settle at 5.000 and Bioatla Inc (NASDAQ: BCAB ) which was down 19.64% to 39.98 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1903 to 1313 and 98 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1850 fell and 1638 advanced, while 137 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.73% to 16.39.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.65% or 12.20 to $1867.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.30% or 0.21 to hit $71.12 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.52% or 0.38 to trade at $73.07 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.11% to 1.2119, while USD/JPY rose 0.41% to 110.09.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 90.477.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.