Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Technology , Oil & Gas and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Financials and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 2.18% or 0.94 points to trade at 44.01 at the close. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) added 2.17% or 3.55 points to end at 167.15 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was up 1.86% or 4.92 points to 269.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 3.95% or 5.31 points to trade at 129.13 in late trade. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) declined 2.44% or 2.97 points to end at 118.89 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 2.14% or 3.26 points to 149.12.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which rose 6.76% to 261.79, Sysco Corporation (NYSE: SYY ) which was up 6.13% to settle at 86.05 and Microchip Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MCHP ) which gained 6.13% to close at 68.25.
The worst performers were Dentsply Sirona Inc (NASDAQ: XRAY ) which was down 7.31% to 36.38 in late trade, Newell Brands Inc (NASDAQ: NWL ) which lost 6.76% to settle at 22.62 and Altria Group (NYSE: MO ) which was down 6.68% to 51.57 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Baosheng Media Group Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: BAOS ) which rose 42.28% to 0.74, Appian Corp (NASDAQ: APPN ) which was up 38.59% to settle at 59.62 and Vroom (NASDAQ: VRM ) which gained 32.41% to close at 1.43.
The worst performers were Embark Technology Inc (NASDAQ: EMBK ) which was down 59.03% to 1.43 in late trade, Upstart Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UPST ) which lost 56.42% to settle at 33.61 and Cipher Mining Inc (NASDAQ: CIFR ) which was down 46.75% to 1.72 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1890 to 1340 and 106 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2229 fell and 1702 advanced, while 175 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.06% to 32.99.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 1.04% or 19.36 to $1,839.24 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 2.95% or 3.04 to hit $100.05 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 3.05% or 3.23 to trade at $102.71 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.23% to 1.05, while USD/JPY rose 0.12% to 130.40.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.23% at 103.93.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.