U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.29%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Consumer Goods , Consumer Services and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Oil & Gas and Healthcare sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.29%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.25%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.14%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 2.64% or 1.44 points to trade at 55.92 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 1.51% or 2.59 points to end at 174.50 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) was up 1.19% or 3.04 points to 259.21 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 2.05% or 0.81 points to trade at 38.58 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 2.17% or 4.55 points to end at 205.50 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) shed 1.91% or 1.66 points to 85.38.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Helmerich and Payne Inc (NYSE: HP ) which rose 6.28% to 20.15, Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which was up 6.07% to settle at 5.42 and Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which gained 4.64% to close at 39.04.
The worst performers were Lowe’s Companies Inc (NYSE: LOW ) which was down 7.16% to 148.42 in late trade, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which lost 6.71% to settle at 20.58 and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc (NYSE: TMO ) which was down 4.45% to 457.69 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Kazia Therapeutics Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: KZIA ) which rose 49.60% to 14.78, Naked Brand Group Ltd (NASDAQ: NAKD ) which was up 53.64% to settle at 0.135 and BELLUS Health Inc (NASDAQ: BLU ) which gained 33.05% to close at 3.18.
The worst performers were CBAK Energy Technology Inc (NASDAQ: CBAT ) which was down 35.56% to 6.2700 in late trade, Paysign Inc (NASDAQ: PAYS ) which lost 31.92% to settle at 4.18 and Oncternal Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ONCT ) which was down 30.07% to 2.90 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1482 to 1418 and 105 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1391 fell and 1385 advanced, while 77 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.44% to 22.61.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.76% or 14.25 to $1870.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 1.06% or 0.44 to hit $42.09 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 1.62% or 0.71 to trade at $44.46 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1865, while USD/JPY fell 0.32% to 103.83.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.11% at 92.297.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or