Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Healthcare , Financials and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Oil & Gas and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which rose 1.73% or 3.11 points to trade at 182.77 at the close. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) added 1.18% or 0.44 points to end at 37.66 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was up 0.87% or 1.17 points to 135.46 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which lost 5.44% or 12.99 points to trade at 225.86 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 1.77% or 2.10 points to end at 116.45 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 1.71% or 0.93 points to 53.39.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which rose 3.54% to 41.29, ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which was up 3.51% to settle at 184.34 and Constellation Brands Inc Class A (NYSE: STZ ) which gained 3.47% to close at 180.96.
The worst performers were Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which was down 19.49% to 47.02 in late trade, Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which lost 10.90% to settle at 15.04 and Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 6.26% to 35.50 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were SAExploration Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which rose 82.12% to 2.750, Genprex Inc (NASDAQ: GNPX ) which was up 60.29% to settle at 0.6200 and Athenex Inc (NASDAQ: ATNX ) which gained 35.66% to close at 15.52.
The worst performers were CTI Industries Corporation (NASDAQ: CTIB ) which was down 27.07% to 0.70 in late trade, KLX Energy Services Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: KLXE ) which lost 26.39% to settle at 5.42 and Advaxis Inc (NASDAQ: ADXS ) which was down 23.17% to 0.3880 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1458 to 1357 and 127 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1577 rose and 1060 declined, while 90 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.21% to 12.86.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.05% or 0.80 to $1472.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 3.31% or 1.89 to hit $55.25 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 2.71% or 1.69 to trade at $60.75 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1079, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 108.56.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 97.720.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.