U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.38%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Technology , Financials and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Basic Materials and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.38% to hit a new 1-month low, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.15%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 0.02%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 2.85% or 8.22 points to trade at 296.71 at the close. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) added 1.92% or 3.87 points to end at 205.87 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) was up 1.35% or 0.69 points to 51.69 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 4.82% or 9.83 points to trade at 194.27 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 3.55% or 1.88 points to end at 51.02 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 2.56% or 4.45 points to 169.30.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Corning Incorporated (NYSE: GLW ) which rose 11.16% to 39.24, Archer-Daniels-Midland Company (NYSE: ADM ) which was up 5.70% to settle at 72.27 and Broadcom Inc (NASDAQ: AVGO ) which gained 4.30% to close at 557.12.
The worst performers were Discovery Inc Class A (NASDAQ: DISCA ) which was down 9.16% to 24.40 in late trade, Automatic Data Processing Inc (NASDAQ: ADP ) which lost 8.95% to settle at 197.46 and Discovery Communications C Inc (NASDAQ: DISCK ) which was down 8.92% to 23.88 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ebang International Holdings (NASDAQ: EBON ) which rose 35.44% to 1.090, Sierra Oncology Inc (NASDAQ: SRRA ) which was up 26.28% to settle at 28.64 and Larimar Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: LRMR ) which gained 21.25% to close at 10.500.
The worst performers were Tyme Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: TYME ) which was down 37.46% to 0.3315 in late trade, Cortexyme Inc (NASDAQ: CRTX ) which lost 31.46% to settle at 6.21 and Mainz Biomed BV (NASDAQ: MYNZ ) which was down 28.40% to 14.50 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2211 to 1054 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2545 fell and 1314 advanced, while 192 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.57% to 31.96 a new 6-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 1.82% or 33.70 to $1818.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 1.89% or 1.62 to hit $87.22 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.03% or 0.03 to trade at $88.56 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1241, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 114.65.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.56% at 96.465.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or