U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.42%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Utilities and Basic Materials sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.42%, while the S&P 500 index climbed 0.16%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 1.75%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 3.10% or 3.14 points to trade at 104.32 at the close. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) added 2.38% or 4.00 points to end at 172.20 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 1.89% or 2.63 points to 141.56 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 2.63% or 3.85 points to trade at 142.66 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 2.54% or 4.53 points to end at 173.76 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) shed 2.48% or 3.50 points to 137.62.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which rose 10.56% to 88.24, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was up 9.97% to settle at 12.46 and Caesars Entertainment Corporation (NASDAQ: CZR ) which gained 9.68% to close at 42.26.
The worst performers were Halliburton Company (NYSE: HAL ) which was down 8.08% to 28.89 in late trade, APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which lost 7.41% to settle at 32.73 and ConocoPhillips (NYSE: COP ) which was down 6.97% to 84.64 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Enjoy Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ENJY ) which rose 81.50% to 0.31, Rubicon Technology Inc (NASDAQ: RBCN ) which was up 65.38% to settle at 15.05 and Faraday Future Intelligent Electric Inc (NASDAQ: FFIE ) which gained 48.73% to close at 5.28.
The worst performers were Omeros Corporation (NASDAQ: OMER ) which was down 33.41% to 3.09 in late trade, Ricebran Tech (NASDAQ: RIBT ) which lost 24.39% to settle at 0.43 and Staffing 360 Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: STAF ) which was down 23.14% to 4.75 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1767 to 1404 and 131 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2335 rose and 1521 declined, while 211 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.04% to 27.54.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 2.02% or 36.35 to $1,765.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 8.11% or 8.79 to hit $99.64 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract fell 9.25% or 10.50 to trade at $103.00 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 1.51% to 1.03, while USD/JPY rose 0.14% to 135.88.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 1.35% at 106.33.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or