Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Technology , Utilities and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 2.81% or 1.57 points to trade at 57.48 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 1.41% or 3.73 points to end at 268.75 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 1.25% or 1.66 points to 134.77 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 3.39% or 8.42 points to trade at 239.96 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 3.09% or 3.32 points to end at 103.98 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 2.76% or 4.68 points to 164.77.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which rose 6.11% to 40.84, NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which was up 5.02% to settle at 799.45 and ViacomCBS Inc (NASDAQ: VIAC ) which gained 4.97% to close at 46.00.
The worst performers were Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which was down 7.04% to 26.15 in late trade, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which lost 6.46% to settle at 83.46 and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was down 6.09% to 29.14 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Marin Software Inc (NASDAQ: MRIN ) which rose 92.65% to 7.3400, QAD Inc B (NASDAQ: QADB ) which was up 79.81% to settle at 86.31 and Intellia Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: NTLA ) which gained 50.19% to close at 133.41.
The worst performers were Exelixis Inc (NASDAQ: EXEL ) which was down 23.01% to 18.03 in late trade, Kiromic Biopharma Inc (NASDAQ: KRBP ) which lost 19.00% to settle at 8.100 and Oblong Inc (NASDAQ: OBLG ) which was down 17.30% to 3.275 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2020 to 1223 and 102 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1978 fell and 1558 advanced, while 134 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.90% to 15.76.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.09% or 1.65 to $1779.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 1.69% or 1.25 to hit $72.80 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract fell 1.74% or 1.31 to trade at $74.07 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.07% to 1.1925, while USD/JPY fell 0.14% to 110.61.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.05% at 91.888.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.