Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Healthcare , Technology and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Industrials , Consumer Services and Basic Materials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 3.31% or 1.77 points to trade at 55.21 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 2.58% or 2.07 points to end at 82.37 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 1.40% or 6.40 points to 465.00 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 4.16% or 6.53 points to trade at 150.44 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 2.87% or 6.19 points to end at 209.31 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) shed 2.30% or 4.99 points to 211.97.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA ) which rose 9.28% to 233.70, Humana Inc (NYSE: HUM ) which was up 6.06% to settle at 385.18 and Hologic Inc (NASDAQ: HOLX ) which gained 4.47% to close at 73.45.
The worst performers were Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (NASDAQ: TTWO ) which was down 13.13% to 142.99 in late trade, Cardinal Health Inc (NYSE: CAH ) which lost 5.92% to settle at 51.03 and Estee Lauder Companies Inc (NYSE: EL ) which was down 5.36% to 335.89 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Bone Biologics Corp (NASDAQ: BBLG ) which rose 57.14% to 5.39, Zynga Inc (NASDAQ: ZNGA ) which was up 40.67% to settle at 8.44 and Molecular Partners AG ADR (NASDAQ: MOLN ) which gained 30.22% to close at 21.50.
The worst performers were TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which was down 81.86% to 0.740 in late trade, Kidpik Corp (NASDAQ: PIK ) which lost 27.47% to settle at 4.75 and Rapid Micro Biosystems Inc (NASDAQ: RPID ) which was down 21.23% to 7.20 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2052 to 1186 and 158 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2493 fell and 1368 advanced, while 206 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.41% to 19.40.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.21% or 3.85 to $1801.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 0.62% or 0.49 to hit $78.41 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $81.02 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1327, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 115.21.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.23% at 95.938.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.