Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Utilities , Consumer Services and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which rose 1.48% or 1.74 points to trade at 119.63 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 1.12% or 3.36 points to end at 302.14 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was up 1.01% or 1.88 points to 187.23 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 1.83% or 5.95 points to trade at 319.00 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 1.83% or 0.89 points to end at 47.74 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 1.68% or 1.13 points to 66.14.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Franklin Resources Inc (NYSE: BEN ) which rose 6.94% to 26.05, Advance Auto Parts Inc (NYSE: AAP ) which was up 6.15% to settle at 141.81 and Kroger Company (NYSE: KR ) which gained 5.24% to close at 29.71.
The worst performers were Vulcan Materials Company (NYSE: VMC ) which was down 6.67% to 137.17 in late trade, ConAgra Foods Inc (NYSE: CAG ) which lost 6.15% to settle at 30.68 and Baker Hughes A Ge Company LLC (NYSE: BKR ) which was down 4.87% to 20.91 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Bellerophon Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BLPH ) which rose 168.37% to 9.2050, Wanda Sports Group Co Ltd (NASDAQ: WSG ) which was up 45.48% to settle at 4.35 and Vical Inc (NASDAQ: BBI ) which gained 42.24% to close at 1.650.
The worst performers were TKK Symphony Acquisition Corporation (NASDAQ: TKKS ) which was down 31.00% to 6.90 in late trade, Summer Infant Inc (NASDAQ: SUMR ) which lost 23.00% to settle at 0.7700 and Gemphire Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: NRBO ) which was down 20.66% to 18.86 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1622 to 1167 and 97 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1436 fell and 1198 advanced, while 90 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 8.41% to 14.83.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.14% or 18.05 to $1604.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.08% or 0.04 to hit $52.36 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $57.68 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.0794, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 109.86.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.35% at 99.352.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.