Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 1.64% or 0.63 points to trade at 39.15 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 0.98% or 1.13 points to end at 116.30 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was up 0.65% or 0.87 points to 135.57 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 5.70% or 14.87 points to trade at 245.97 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 3.07% or 2.94 points to end at 92.69 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 2.22% or 1.28 points to 56.45.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which rose 13.52% to 27.87, Autodesk Inc (NASDAQ: ADSK ) which was up 5.83% to settle at 274.07 and PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PYPL ) which gained 3.99% to close at 214.21.
The worst performers were Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was down 19.43% to 21.65 in late trade, TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which lost 6.93% to settle at 9.00 and Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which was down 6.56% to 7.05 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Anpac Bio Medical Science Co Ltd (NASDAQ: ANPC ) which rose 104.86% to 7.17, MMTEC Inc (NASDAQ: MTC ) which was up 78.33% to settle at 2.140 and Newborn Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: NBAC ) which gained 66.89% to close at 19.96.
The worst performers were Hepion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: HEPA ) which was down 26.15% to 1.61 in late trade, Ecmoho Ltd (NASDAQ: MOHO ) which lost 21.67% to settle at 2.82 and Corsair Gaming Inc (NASDAQ: CRSR ) which was down 18.85% to 41.60 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1652 to 1254 and 90 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1408 rose and 1399 declined, while 85 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.57% to 21.30 a new 6-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.13% or 2.30 to $1806.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 1.60% or 0.72 to hit $45.63 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 1.55% or 0.74 to trade at $48.52 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.29% to 1.1923, while USD/JPY fell 0.02% to 104.41.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.31% at 91.933.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.