Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Goods and Utilities sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 2.06% or 3.53 points to trade at 174.88 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 1.70% or 2.68 points to end at 160.55 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) was up 1.01% or 2.06 points to 206.08 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 5.77% or 13.12 points to trade at 214.13 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 2.83% or 2.35 points to end at 80.70 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 2.24% or 3.50 points to 152.53.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Intuit Inc (NASDAQ: INTU ) which rose 10.08% to 692.34, Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which was up 7.80% to settle at 83.03 and NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which gained 4.14% to close at 329.85.
The worst performers were Foot Locker Inc (NYSE: FL ) which was down 11.95% to 50.68 in late trade, Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which lost 8.75% to settle at 57.01 and Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was down 7.12% to 34.71 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Greenland Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: GTEC ) which rose 89.46% to 9.890, Aurora Innovation Inc (NASDAQ: AUR ) which was up 51.42% to settle at 17.11 and Longeveron LLC (NASDAQ: LGVN ) which gained 46.00% to close at 10.030.
The worst performers were Connect Biopharma Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: CNTB ) which was down 57.72% to 5.12 in late trade, ReTo Eco-Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: RETO ) which lost 41.97% to settle at 1.7700 and Flora Growth Corp (NASDAQ: FLGC ) which was down 41.19% to 2.170 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2174 to 1069 and 134 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2348 fell and 1392 advanced, while 207 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.82% to 17.91.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.70% or 13.10 to $1848.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 3.43% or 2.69 to hit $75.72 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 3.45% or 2.80 to trade at $78.44 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.74% to 1.1285, while USD/JPY fell 0.20% to 114.01.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.54% at 96.058.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.