U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.92%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Technology , Utilities and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.92%, while the S&P 500 index lost 0.46%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 0.13%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 1.26% or 3.05 points to trade at 244.18 at the close. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) added 0.42% or 0.72 points to end at 171.95 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was down 0.07% or 0.29 points to 421.61 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ), which lost 6.46% or 15.77 points to trade at 228.31 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 2.26% or 2.32 points to end at 100.28 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 1.99% or 1.24 points to 60.99.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc (NYSE: DVA ) which rose 8.66% to 133.81, Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which was up 6.71% to settle at 20.51 and Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which gained 5.50% to close at 118.75.
The worst performers were General Motors Company (NYSE: GM ) which was down 8.95% to 52.70 in late trade, Lumen Technologies Inc (NYSE: LUMN ) which lost 8.86% to settle at 11.62 and Unum Group (NYSE: UNM ) which was down 8.81% to 24.85 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were BeyondSpring Inc (NASDAQ: BYSI ) which rose 175.91% to 26.57, Robinhood Markets Inc (NASDAQ: HOOD ) which was up 50.36% to settle at 70.37 and eXp World Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: EXPI ) which gained 35.84% to close at 47.23.
The worst performers were Zymergen Inc (NASDAQ: ZY ) which was down 76.28% to 8.26 in late trade, Live Ventures Inc (NASDAQ: LIVE ) which lost 46.47% to settle at 33.50 and China XD Plastics Company Limited (NASDAQ: CXDC ) which was down 39.90% to 0.5589 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2224 to 945 and 107 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2312 fell and 1194 advanced, while 147 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.39% to 17.97.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.04% or 0.75 to $1814.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September fell 3.60% or 2.54 to hit $68.02 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract fell 3.01% or 2.18 to trade at $70.23 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.19% to 1.1838, while USD/JPY rose 0.37% to 109.44.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.20% at 92.273.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or