Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Goods and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 3.71% or 7.04 points to trade at 196.84 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 2.57% or 8.85 points to end at 352.84 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) was up 1.32% or 0.83 points to 63.87 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 6.15% or 13.33 points to trade at 203.41 in late trade. Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) declined 5.36% or 2.87 points to end at 50.65 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 4.05% or 4.48 points to 106.06.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Aptiv PLC (NYSE: APTV ) which rose 8.59% to 82.43, IDEXX Laboratories Inc (NASDAQ: IDXX ) which was up 6.23% to settle at 321.89 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) which gained 4.32% to close at 182.10.
The worst performers were Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was down 14.42% to 20.65 in late trade, Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which lost 11.55% to settle at 11.03 and Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which was down 11.04% to 10.64 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Wins Finance Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WINS ) which rose 170.80% to 20.31, Jiayin Group Inc (NASDAQ: JFIN ) which was up 96.61% to settle at 5.80 and TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which gained 93.66% to close at 2.100.
The worst performers were Fangdd Network Group Ltd (NASDAQ: DUO ) which was down 66.38% to 15.82 in late trade, MMTEC Inc (NASDAQ: MTC ) which lost 56.87% to settle at 2.890 and Immuron Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: IMRN ) which was down 50.60% to 9.88 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2134 to 750 and 56 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1869 fell and 833 advanced, while 48 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was unchanged 0% to 27.57.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 1.51% or 26.05 to $1747.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.39% or 0.15 to hit $39.09 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.05% or 0.02 to trade at $41.20 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.05% to 1.1375, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 107.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.26% at 96.067.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.