Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Services and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Utilities and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 3.16% or 10.53 points to trade at 343.99 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 0.76% or 1.44 points to end at 189.80 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 0.09% or 0.11 points to 121.35 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 5.97% or 13.76 points to trade at 216.74 in late trade. Raytheon Technologies Corp (NYSE: RTX ) declined 4.88% or 3.62 points to end at 70.54 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 3.70% or 1.74 points to 45.28.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which rose 6.46% to 56.39, SBA Communications Corp (NASDAQ: SBAC ) which was up 4.62% to settle at 308.25 and Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which gained 3.47% to close at 434.05.
The worst performers were Aptiv PLC (NYSE: APTV ) which was down 13.25% to 75.91 in late trade, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which lost 10.16% to settle at 24.13 and Concho Resources Inc (NYSE: CXO ) which was down 10.16% to 64.98 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Immuron Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: IMRN ) which rose 852.34% to 20.00, Fangdd Network Group Ltd (NASDAQ: DUO ) which was up 394.85% to settle at 47.06 and Naked Brand Group Ltd (NASDAQ: NAKD ) which gained 140.06% to close at 1.630.
The worst performers were Fossil Group Inc (NASDAQ: FOSL ) which was down 37.86% to 5.03 in late trade, Soleno Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: SLNO ) which lost 35.19% to settle at 2.100 and Extraction Oil & Gas Inc (NASDAQ: XOG ) which was down 30.41% to 1.030 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2265 to 618 and 55 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1767 fell and 936 advanced, while 41 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 6.82% to 27.57.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.87% or 14.75 to $1719.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.50% or 0.19 to hit $38.38 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.17% or 0.07 to trade at $40.77 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.00% to 1.1340, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 107.73.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.23% at 96.385.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.