Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Consumer Goods and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which rose 1.16% or 2.70 points to trade at 235.01 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 1.13% or 1.15 points to end at 102.67 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 0.92% or 3.15 points to 346.67 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 2.58% or 5.15 points to trade at 194.48 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 1.38% or 0.81 points to end at 57.95 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 1.09% or 0.62 points to 56.32.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were United Parcel Service Inc (NYSE: UPS ) which rose 10.45% to 194.18, Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was up 5.89% to settle at 17.43 and Arconic Corp (NYSE: ARNC ) which gained 4.95% to close at 29.05.
The worst performers were Cadence Design Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CDNS ) which was down 7.95% to 132.76 in late trade, Centene Corp (NYSE: CNC ) which lost 7.21% to settle at 61.24 and Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which was down 4.52% to 704.82 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Urban Tea Inc (NASDAQ: MYT ) which rose 38.10% to 4.6400, Vaxart Inc (NASDAQ: VXRT ) which was up 37.79% to settle at 8.3500 and Tian Ruixiang Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: TIRX ) which gained 36.11% to close at 16.36.
The worst performers were RealNetworks Inc (NASDAQ: RNWK ) which was down 25.07% to 2.555 in late trade, Microvision Inc (NASDAQ: MVIS ) which lost 23.79% to settle at 20.1500 and Cyclerion Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: CYCN ) which was down 18.27% to 2.55 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1505 to 1500 and 126 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1810 fell and 1369 advanced, while 103 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.45% to 17.56.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.27% or 4.85 to $1775.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 2.12% or 1.31 to hit $63.22 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 1.72% or 1.12 to trade at $66.15 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.05% to 1.2089, while USD/JPY rose 0.63% to 108.77.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.11% at 90.880.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.