U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.04%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Industrials , Telecoms and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Oil & Gas and Healthcare sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 0.04% to hit a new all time high, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.20%, and the NASDAQ Composite index fell 0.13%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 5.08% or 3.01 points to trade at 62.25 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 4.55% or 15.96 points to end at 366.96 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 0.79% or 2.06 points to 262.20 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 1.76% or 3.04 points to trade at 170.11 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 1.74% or 3.88 points to end at 219.03 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) shed 1.56% or 2.14 points to 135.47.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) which rose 5.08% to 62.25, Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which was up 4.69% to settle at 20.98 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) which gained 4.55% to close at 366.96.
The worst performers were Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which was down 4.88% to 17.74 in late trade, Newell Brands Inc (NASDAQ: NWL ) which lost 4.15% to settle at 19.52 and Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was down 3.83% to 121.62 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Lianluo Smart Ltd (NASDAQ: LLIT ) which rose 37.25% to 0.630, Xpel Inc (NASDAQ: XPEL ) which was up 30.80% to settle at 14.14 and Cabaletta Bio Inc (NASDAQ: CABA ) which gained 25.18% to close at 13.92.
The worst performers were Lipocine Inc (NASDAQ: LPCN ) which was down 70.70% to 0.80 in late trade, Aslan Pharmaceuticals Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: ASLN ) which lost 67.98% to settle at 0.67 and NextCure Inc (NASDAQ: NXTC ) which was down 52.93% to 39.02 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1567 to 1250 and 117 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1394 fell and 1230 advanced, while 87 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 5.14% to 12.69.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.43% or 6.30 to $1456.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 0.58% or 0.33 to hit $56.91 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 0.40% or 0.25 to trade at $62.26 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1033, while USD/JPY unchanged 0.00% to 109.04.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.15% at 98.053.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or