Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Technology , Oil & Gas and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Basic Materials , Consumer Goods and Healthcare sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ), which rose 1.57% or 2.39 points to trade at 154.93 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 1.34% or 1.69 points to end at 127.90 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) was up 1.04% or 0.68 points to 66.24 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 1.15% or 2.18 points to trade at 187.55 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 1.03% or 2.62 points to end at 252.55 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 0.91% or 0.59 points to 64.01.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which rose 3.64% to 64.30, TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which was up 3.01% to settle at 7.88 and Jefferies Financial Group Inc (NYSE: JEF ) which gained 2.99% to close at 31.34.
The worst performers were Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which was down 6.08% to 143.59 in late trade, Lamb Weston Holdings Inc (NYSE: LW ) which lost 3.66% to settle at 77.96 and PPG Industries Inc (NYSE: PPG ) which was down 3.61% to 148.02 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Bonso Electronics International Inc (NASDAQ: BNSO ) which rose 45.06% to 9.945, Recon Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: RCON ) which was up 19.11% to settle at 6.670 and Seelos Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: SEEL ) which gained 17.78% to close at 5.830.
The worst performers were FibroGen Inc (NASDAQ: FGEN ) which was down 43.07% to 19.72 in late trade, Homology Medicines Inc (NASDAQ: FIXX ) which lost 22.80% to settle at 7.18 and Kelly Services B Inc (NASDAQ: KELYB ) which was down 15.67% to 32.89 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1845 to 1251 and 92 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2335 fell and 861 advanced, while 85 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.30% to 17.16 a new 52-week low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.29% or 5.10 to $1737.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 0.56% or 0.33 to hit $59.66 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.57% or 0.36 to trade at $63.10 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.03% to 1.1871, while USD/JPY rose 0.07% to 109.81.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.08% at 92.422.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.