Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Consumer Goods , Telecoms and Utilities sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Technology sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 0.85% or 0.86 points to trade at 101.57 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 0.69% or 0.87 points to end at 126.09 and Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) was up 0.60% or 0.33 points to 55.35 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 0.71% or 0.39 points to trade at 54.83 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) declined 0.38% or 0.85 points to end at 219.97 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) shed 0.34% or 0.24 points to 69.89.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were CenturyLink Inc (NYSE: CTL ) which rose 2.36% to 13.42, General Mills Inc (NYSE: GIS ) which was up 1.45% to settle at 53.19 and Kimco Realty Corporation (NYSE: KIM ) which gained 1.42% to close at 20.76.
The worst performers were American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which was down 4.15% to 28.44 in late trade, Foot Locker Inc (NYSE: FL ) which lost 3.42% to settle at 39.49 and Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which was down 2.39% to 25.73 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Iterum Therapeutics PLC (NASDAQ: ITRM ) which rose 95.47% to 4.75, Pintec Technology Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: PT ) which was up 66.41% to settle at 2.13 and Aqua Metals Inc (NASDAQ: AQMS ) which gained 59.62% to close at 0.83.
The worst performers were Melinta Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: MLNT ) which was down 58.39% to 0.620 in late trade, Microbot Medical Inc (NASDAQ: MBOT ) which lost 20.71% to settle at 11.1000 and IGM Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: IGMS ) which was down 17.37% to 40.91 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1570 to 1215 and 116 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1678 fell and 959 advanced, while 89 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 6.17% to 13.43.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.08% or 1.25 to $1515.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.03% or 0.02 to hit $61.70 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.34% or 0.23 to trade at $68.15 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.72% to 1.1176, while USD/JPY fell 0.18% to 109.44.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.50% at 96.632.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.