Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Telecoms and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 3.06% or 5.14 points to trade at 173.01 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 2.11% or 1.91 points to end at 92.32 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 1.79% or 0.86 points to 49.04 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 2.48% or 3.15 points to trade at 124.05 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 2.00% or 2.15 points to end at 105.18 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) shed 1.67% or 2.79 points to 164.12.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which rose 5.68% to 67.72, NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which was up 4.21% to settle at 44.07 and Halliburton Company (NYSE: HAL ) which gained 4.07% to close at 37.57.
The worst performers were Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which was down 8.18% to 37.39 in late trade, Signature Bank (NASDAQ: SBNY ) which lost 7.09% to settle at 186.93 and Expedia Inc (NASDAQ: EXPE ) which was down 6.02% to 123.85 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were AgriFORCE Growing Systems Ltd (NASDAQ: AGRI ) which rose 65.87% to 2.77, Newage Inc (NASDAQ: NBEV ) which was up 65.82% to settle at 0.42 and Data Storage Corp (NASDAQ: DTST ) which gained 50.00% to close at 3.45.
The worst performers were Chimerix Inc (NASDAQ: CMRX ) which was down 60.85% to 1.66 in late trade, Predictive Oncology Inc (NASDAQ: POAI ) which lost 45.81% to settle at 0.38 and Iris Energy Ltd (NASDAQ: IREN ) which was down 36.45% to 4.90 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1607 to 1586 and 125 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2256 fell and 1577 advanced, while 216 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.85% to 27.47.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.77% or 13.90 to $1,822.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 2.95% or 3.21 to hit $111.84 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 2.45% or 2.73 to trade at $114.28 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.20% to 1.04, while USD/JPY fell 0.09% to 129.07.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.35% at 104.26.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.