Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Healthcare , Consumer Goods and Utilities sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Financials and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which rose 1.67% or 0.66 points to trade at 40.07 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 1.17% or 1.60 points to end at 138.80 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 1.04% or 0.56 points to 54.62 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 1.35% or 4.28 points to trade at 312.68 in late trade. Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) declined 0.86% or 0.60 points to end at 69.20 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 0.70% or 1.15 points to 162.13.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Perrigo Company PLC (NYSE: PRGO ) which rose 12.60% to 56.91, Incyte Corporation (NASDAQ: INCY ) which was up 5.67% to settle at 81.47 and Apache Corporation (NYSE: APA ) which gained 4.94% to close at 33.59.
The worst performers were Boston Scientific Corp (NYSE: BSX ) which was down 6.18% to 42.6600 in late trade, Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC ) which lost 5.39% to settle at 49.30 and Martin Marietta Materials Inc (NYSE: MLM ) which was down 4.19% to 260.75 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were RTI Surgical Inc (NASDAQ: RTIX ) which rose 63.41% to 4.510, Inpixon (NASDAQ: INPX ) which was up 54.79% to settle at 5.6500 and IRIDEX Corporation (NASDAQ: IRIX ) which gained 48.73% to close at 3.51.
The worst performers were Eloxx Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ELOX ) which was down 30.34% to 5.280 in late trade, Stemline Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: STML ) which lost 30.33% to settle at 6.570 and Torchlight Energ (NASDAQ: TRCH ) which was down 28.88% to 0.6300 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1593 to 1240 and 85 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1326 rose and 1324 declined, while 75 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.57% to 12.39.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.24% or 3.70 to $1546.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.09% or 0.05 to hit $58.13 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $64.43 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1127, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 110.00.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.07% at 97.125.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.