Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Healthcare , Utilities and Technology sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 3.12% or 7.70 points to trade at 254.72 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 2.91% or 1.99 points to end at 70.41 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 2.80% or 10.43 points to 382.45 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which lost 2.29% or 3.87 points to trade at 165.38 in late trade. Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) declined 1.86% or 4.42 points to end at 233.52 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 1.50% or 2.02 points to 132.83.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which rose 13.71% to 13.77, Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which was up 13.70% to settle at 30.20 and APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which gained 10.87% to close at 23.06.
The worst performers were Abbott Laboratories (NYSE: ABT ) which was down 9.33% to 105.77 in late trade, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc (NYSE: TMO ) which lost 4.78% to settle at 447.05 and Invesco Plc (NYSE: IVZ ) which was down 4.73% to 27.18 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Orbital Energy Group Inc (NASDAQ: OEG ) which rose 113.80% to 7.590, ENGlobal Corporation (NASDAQ: ENG ) which was up 40.62% to settle at 3.6000 and Aethlon Medical Inc (NASDAQ: AEMD ) which gained 33.33% to close at 2.320.
The worst performers were Immunovant Inc (NASDAQ: IMVT ) which was down 36.74% to 9.59 in late trade, Mudrick Capital Acquisition Corporation II (NASDAQ: MUDS ) which lost 15.09% to settle at 11.59 and Shineco Inc (NASDAQ: TYHT ) which was down 12.97% to 6.9100 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2329 to 908 and 107 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2155 rose and 1232 declined, while 116 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 6.80% to 17.90.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.19% or 3.55 to $1901.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 2.43% or 1.61 to hit $67.93 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 1.73% or 1.20 to trade at $70.52 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.07% to 1.2216, while USD/JPY fell 0.05% to 109.48.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.09% at 89.910.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.