Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Utilities and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which rose 6.47% or 13.01 points to trade at 214.11 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 4.81% or 13.00 points to end at 283.22 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) was up 2.70% or 4.60 points to 174.68 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 7.53% or 12.58 points to trade at 154.46 in late trade. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) declined 3.12% or 1.59 points to end at 49.31 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 1.92% or 0.95 points to 48.46.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which rose 7.72% to 165.71, Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) which was up 6.47% to settle at 214.11 and CME Group Inc (NASDAQ: CME ) which gained 5.94% to close at 225.93.
The worst performers were F5 Networks Inc (NASDAQ: FFIV ) which was down 12.84% to 169.01 in late trade, Robert Half International Inc (NYSE: RHI ) which lost 8.56% to settle at 100.00 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) which was down 7.53% to 154.46 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Acutus Medical Inc (NASDAQ: AFIB ) which rose 36.00% to 1.09, Cosmos Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: COSM ) which was up 33.96% to settle at 1.42 and Locafy Ltd (NASDAQ: LCFY ) which gained 33.05% to close at 1.57.
The worst performers were JE Cleantech Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: JCSE ) which was down 68.41% to 5.12 in late trade, Molecular Partners AG ADR (NASDAQ: MOLN ) which lost 37.37% to settle at 8.70 and Agile Thrpe (NASDAQ: AGRX ) which was down 29.85% to 3.14 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1724 to 1458 and 151 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2298 fell and 1531 advanced, while 286 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.73% to 31.60.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.95% or 18.15 to $1,885.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.35% or 0.36 to hit $102.06 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.29% or 0.30 to trade at $104.91 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.73% to 1.06, while USD/JPY rose 0.92% to 128.40.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.65% at 102.98.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.