Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Telecoms and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Industrials and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which rose 2.76% or 8.36 points to trade at 311.11 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 2.30% or 7.24 points to end at 321.39 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 1.83% or 2.40 points to 133.49 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 1.56% or 2.77 points to trade at 175.20 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 1.49% or 2.99 points to end at 197.17 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 1.46% or 4.40 points to 296.97.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were EPAM Systems Inc (NYSE: EPAM ) which rose 10.13% to 308.69, Coterra Energy Inc (NYSE: CTRA ) which was up 7.32% to settle at 28.75 and Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which gained 7.14% to close at 61.80.
The worst performers were Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which was down 5.71% to 195.14 in late trade, Monolithic Power Systems Inc (NASDAQ: MPWR ) which lost 5.67% to settle at 411.59 and NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which was down 4.50% to 231.19 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Phio Pharmaceuticals Corp (NASDAQ: PHIO ) which rose 159.18% to 2.35, Medavail Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MDVL ) which was up 39.01% to settle at 1.96 and Bicycle Therapeutics Ltd (NASDAQ: BCYC ) which gained 24.54% to close at 46.99.
The worst performers were Kaleido Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: KLDO ) which was down 81.76% to 0.27 in late trade, Genocea Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: GNCA ) which lost 69.23% to settle at 0.40 and C4 Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: CCCC ) which was down 50.57% to 11.32 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1698 to 1496 and 115 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2383 fell and 1430 advanced, while 221 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.81% to 21.16.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.35% or 6.70 to $1,944.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 2.17% or 2.08 to hit $98.11 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 2.15% or 2.16 to trade at $102.74 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.04% to 1.09, while USD/JPY rose 0.32% to 124.32.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 99.82.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.