Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Telecoms sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Healthcare and Utilities sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 2.46% or 5.13 points to trade at 214.02 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 2.13% or 3.10 points to end at 148.68 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 2.11% or 1.00 points to 48.44 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 2.38% or 5.94 points to trade at 243.38 in late trade. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) declined 0.78% or 1.87 points to end at 238.13 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 0.77% or 1.31 points to 169.47.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nucor Corp (NYSE: NUE ) which rose 9.57% to 118.09, Kansas City Southern (NYSE: KSU ) which was up 7.44% to settle at 289.67 and Sysco Corporation (NYSE: SYY ) which gained 6.55% to close at 78.26.
The worst performers were Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which was down 5.36% to 75.91 in late trade, ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which lost 3.98% to settle at 332.84 and Teleflex Incorporated (NYSE: TFX ) which was down 3.97% to 360.23 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Fulcrum Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: FULC ) which rose 123.77% to 18.640, Mediaco Holding Inc (NASDAQ: MDIA ) which was up 36.03% to settle at 10.080 and Orphazyme (NASDAQ: ORPH ) which gained 24.11% to close at 5.200.
The worst performers were Katapult Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: KPLT ) which was down 56.32% to 4.25 in late trade, China XD Plastics Company Limited (NASDAQ: CXDC ) which lost 26.77% to settle at 0.7689 and Impel Neuropharma Inc (NASDAQ: IMPL ) which was down 25.45% to 19.480 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1796 to 1426 and 114 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1880 fell and 1611 advanced, while 140 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.42% to 16.79.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.18% or 3.15 to $1729.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 2.99% or 1.99 to hit $68.47 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 2.52% or 1.74 to trade at $70.78 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.16% to 1.1718, while USD/JPY rose 0.28% to 110.58.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.15% at 93.080.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.