Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Financials , Healthcare and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Basic Materials and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which rose 4.54% or 5.93 points to trade at 136.63 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 3.29% or 3.26 points to end at 102.35 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was up 3.21% or 3.64 points to 117.18 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 1.20% or 6.05 points to trade at 500.04 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) declined 1.13% or 3.30 points to end at 288.63 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 0.73% or 1.57 points to 212.19.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Abbott Laboratories (NYSE: ABT ) which rose 7.85% to 111.29, TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was up 6.28% to settle at 24.37 and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which gained 5.98% to close at 66.60.
The worst performers were Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which was down 8.05% to 3.54 in late trade, Dollar Tree Inc (NASDAQ: DLTR ) which lost 7.21% to settle at 96.72 and Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (NYSE: DGX ) which was down 7.03% to 110.01 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Destination XL Group Inc (NASDAQ: DXLG ) which rose 57.20% to 0.450, Autobytel Inc (NASDAQ: AUTO ) which was up 34.92% to settle at 4.830 and VBI Vaccines Inc (NASDAQ: VBIV ) which gained 32.24% to close at 4.245.
The worst performers were Akers Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: AKER ) which was down 31.49% to 2.85 in late trade, Aptorum Group Ltd Class A (NASDAQ: APM ) which lost 29.19% to settle at 2.11 and Fulgent Genetics Inc (NASDAQ: FLGT ) which was down 28.08% to 32.22 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1664 to 1359 and 110 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1501 fell and 1313 advanced, while 56 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 5.16% to 24.47.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.84% or 16.35 to $1936.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.85% or 0.37 to hit $43.02 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $45.67 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.00% to 1.1821, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 106.56.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.02% at 93.015.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.