Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Industrials and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Healthcare and Utilities sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which rose 2.72% or 3.73 points to trade at 141.03 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 1.84% or 6.84 points to end at 379.46 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 1.61% or 3.80 points to 239.56 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 1.09% or 0.62 points to trade at 56.13 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 0.93% or 1.45 points to end at 154.50 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) shed 0.80% or 1.88 points to 234.07.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which rose 7.25% to 17.46, Capri Holdings Ltd (NYSE: CPRI ) which was up 5.55% to settle at 57.24 and Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which gained 4.92% to close at 93.92.
The worst performers were Hologic Inc (NASDAQ: HOLX ) which was down 3.04% to 66.76 in late trade, WW Grainger Inc (NYSE: GWW ) which lost 2.19% to settle at 438.50 and Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which was down 2.07% to 238.20 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cuentas Inc (NASDAQ: CUEN ) which rose 120.86% to 6.140, Newegg Commerce Inc (NASDAQ: NEGG ) which was up 77.64% to settle at 19.31 and Borqs Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: BRQS ) which gained 43.70% to close at 1.4300.
The worst performers were BSQUARE Corporation (NASDAQ: BSQR ) which was down 40.98% to 4.745 in late trade, Altimmune Inc (NASDAQ: ALT ) which lost 37.92% to settle at 9.87 and Marin Software Inc (NASDAQ: MRIN ) which was down 37.69% to 10.78 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1819 to 1388 and 127 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1948 fell and 1530 advanced, while 172 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.19% to 15.83.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.38% or 6.75 to $1770.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.71% or 0.52 to hit $73.50 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.53% or 0.39 to trade at $74.67 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.31% to 1.1858, while USD/JPY rose 0.55% to 111.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.34% at 92.350.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.