Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 3.31% or 2.07 points to trade at 64.57 at the close. Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) added 2.40% or 5.75 points to end at 245.39 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) was up 2.37% or 2.44 points to 105.51 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 2.84% or 6.53 points to trade at 223.79 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 0.49% or 0.28 points to end at 57.25 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) shed 0.36% or 0.85 points to 232.71.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Baker Hughes A Ge Company LLC (NYSE: BKR ) which rose 8.07% to 21.70, Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was up 8.02% to settle at 17.91 and Mohawk Industries Inc (NYSE: MHK ) which gained 7.80% to close at 221.53.
The worst performers were Estee Lauder Companies Inc (NYSE: EL ) which was down 7.94% to 288.89 in late trade, Discovery Inc Class A (NASDAQ: DISCA ) which lost 4.12% to settle at 36.11 and ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which was down 3.80% to 308.53 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Precipio Inc (NASDAQ: PRPO ) which rose 169.78% to 4.910, Image Sensing Systems Inc (NASDAQ: ISNS ) which was up 72.09% to settle at 11.22 and Ocugen, Inc (NASDAQ: OCGN ) which gained 23.68% to close at 15.6700.
The worst performers were Vaxart Inc (NASDAQ: VXRT ) which was down 25.70% to 8.0100 in late trade, Regulus Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RGLS ) which lost 20.14% to settle at 1.110 and Evelo Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: EVLO ) which was down 19.92% to 10.53 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2222 to 994 and 83 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1752 rose and 1590 declined, while 103 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.61% to 18.31.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 1.40% or 24.75 to $1792.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 1.34% or 0.85 to hit $64.43 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 1.11% or 0.74 to trade at $67.50 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.37% to 1.2062, while USD/JPY fell 0.15% to 109.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.34% at 90.963.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.