Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Industrials and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Healthcare , Technology and Utilities sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 5.52% or 9.39 points to trade at 179.41 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 5.26% or 7.10 points to end at 142.02 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 5.09% or 2.17 points to 44.80 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which lost 1.99% or 4.23 points to trade at 208.25 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 0.88% or 1.14 points to end at 128.79 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.38% or 0.57 points to 148.03.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM ) which rose 13.77% to 21.65, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which was up 10.00% to settle at 57.31 and Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which gained 9.96% to close at 81.48.
The worst performers were MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which was down 5.02% to 482.67 in late trade, Fiserv Inc (NASDAQ: FISV ) which lost 4.40% to settle at 99.34 and Hologic Inc (NASDAQ: HOLX ) which was down 3.87% to 65.90 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Seres Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: MCRB ) which rose 389.22% to 22.70, Omeros Corporation (NASDAQ: OMER ) which was up 50.88% to settle at 21.32 and Commercial Vehicle Group Inc (NASDAQ: CVGI ) which gained 37.04% to close at 4.07.
The worst performers were Alliance MMA Inc (NASDAQ: WORX ) which was down 46.13% to 3.100 in late trade, Reata Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RETA ) which lost 33.16% to settle at 104.41 and Addex Therapeutics Ltd (NASDAQ: ADXN ) which was down 30.07% to 14.69 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2202 to 858 and 63 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1704 rose and 1078 declined, while 76 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.36% to 22.13 a new 3-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for October delivery was up 0.51% or 10.30 to $2028.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 1.84% or 0.76 to hit $41.98 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.04% or 0.02 to trade at $44.94 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1741, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 105.94.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.20% at 93.595.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.