Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Healthcare and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 6.39% or 14.73 points to trade at 245.34 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) added 4.25% or 2.06 points to end at 50.52 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 3.46% or 11.43 points to 342.02 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 0.91% or 1.10 points to trade at 119.98 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 0.68% or 2.38 points to end at 349.60 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 0.67% or 0.42 points to 62.25.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Franklin Resources Inc (NYSE: BEN ) which rose 9.82% to 28.62, Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which was up 7.41% to settle at 33.06 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) which gained 6.39% to close at 245.34.
The worst performers were General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) which was down 5.36% to 13.25 in late trade, NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which lost 4.88% to settle at 40.74 and Lam Research Corp (NASDAQ: LRCX ) which was down 4.56% to 518.70 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were AVEO Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AVEO ) which rose 89.11% to 15.2800, Koss Corporation (NASDAQ: KOSS ) which was up 69.16% to settle at 30.280 and Enveric Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: ENVB ) which gained 54.95% to close at 4.540.
The worst performers were INVO Bioscience Inc (NASDAQ: INVO ) which was down 31.49% to 6.44000 in late trade, Sundance Energy Australia Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: SNDE ) which lost 27.23% to settle at 1.71 and Mingzhu Logistics Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: YGMZ ) which was down 26.83% to 5.40 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2404 to 810 and 83 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2073 rose and 1220 declined, while 99 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.12% to 22.56.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.02% or 0.30 to $1725.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.05% or 0.03 to hit $64.74 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $68.16 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1926, while USD/JPY rose 0.06% to 108.44.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.20% at 91.782.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.