Investing.com - The Dow closed just higher Thursday as a tech-led rally underpinned by Alphabet and AMD offset losses in energy stocks ahead of the monthly jobs report due Friday.
Alphabet leads tech higher as unveiling AI prowess; AMD's AI-chip in focus
Alphabet Inc Class A (NASDAQ: GOOGL ) rose more than 5% a day after the company unveiled its latest AI model Gemini. The new multi-model AI system, which understands audio, photos and video, comes as tech giant looks to take the fight to rivals OpenAI, Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT ) and Meta (NASDAQ: META ).
Chip stocks also supported the broader tech sector, racking up a nearly 3% gain, underpinned by a surge in Advanced Micro Devices.
AMD's management sees"MI300X performance surpassing NVDA H100 for AI workloads," Oppenheimer said in a note.,
C3.ai, Chewy slump on guidance; GameStop unveils plan to buy stocks
Retail investor-favorite C3.ai (NYSE: AI ) slumped nearly 11% after the AI application software group guided for a full-year adjusted operating loss of $115 million to $135 million, deeper than its prior forecast of $70 million-$100 million.
Chewy (NYSE: CHWY ) shares fell nearly 1% after the online pet-care retailer trimmed its annual sales outlook due to inflationary pressures that have dented customer demand.
GameStop (NYSE: GME ) shares were 10% higher after approving a plan to amend its investment policy, allowing the video game retailer to invest in equity securities. The news overshadowed quarterly results that missed on the top line.
Labor market data in focus ahead of nonfarm payrolls
Data on Thursday showed that the number of Americans who filed for first-time unemployment aid came in at seasonally-adjusted 220,000 last week, marking a slight uptick from 219,000 for the week ended on Nov. 25. Economists had expected a reading of 222,000.
The latest figures added to string of recent data pointing to soft labor market, though the nonfarm payrolls report for November will take center stage.
Scott Kanowsky and Oliver Gray contributed to this report.
Upgrade your investing with our groundbreaking, AI-powered InvestingPro+ stock picks. Use coupon code INVESTPRO to get a limited time discount on our InvestingPro+ subscription plan. Click here to find out more, and don't forget to use the discount code when checking out.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.