(For a live blog on the U.S. stock market, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window.)
* Futures up: Dow 0.17%, S&P 0.15%, Nasdaq 0.11%
By Arjun Panchadar
Dec 2 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures gained slightly on Monday as an unexpected rise in Chinese manufacturing activity assuaged investor concerns about a global economic slowdown in the wake of a prolonged trade war between Washington and Beijing.
China's factory activity expanded at its fastest pace in three years, a private sector survey showed on Monday, reinforcing upbeat government data released over the weekend. The data follows a clutch of mixed headlines on U.S.-China trade last week. of an imminent "phase one" trade deal and upbeat U.S. economic data sent Wall Street to record highs early in the week, but sentiment was dulled on Friday after China warned of a retaliation to a U.S. law supporting protesters in Hong Kong.
Recent numbers from the United States have signalled that the domestic economy continues to be resilient despite signs of flagging global growth, a message that has been reinforced by the Federal Reserve.
After cutting interest rates three times this year, Fed Chair Jerome Powell has said that the central bank will only intervene again if the economy takes a turn for the worse.
All eyes will now be on the ISM manufacturing activity survey for November, due at 10 a.m. ET. The reading is expected to rise to 49.2 from 48.3 in October.
Retail stocks also remained in focus, with Cyber Monday sales expected to hit a record following $11.6 billion in online sales on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Walmart (NYSE: WMT ) Inc WMT.N , Amazon.com Inc AMZN.O and Target Corp (NYSE: TGT ) TGT.N gained about 0.3%. 7:33 a.m. ET, Dow e-minis 1YMcv1 were up 48 points, or 0.17%. S&P 500 e-minis EScv1 were up 4.75 points, or 0.15% and Nasdaq 100 e-minis NQcv1 were up 9.25 points, or 0.11%.
Among other stocks, Roku Inc ROKU.O fell 6.6% as Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS ) downgraded the video streaming device maker's shares to "underweight from "equal-weight". Inc SPLK.O rose 2.3% after Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS ) upgraded shares of the company to "buy" from "neutral".
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.