(For a live blog on the U.S. stock market, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window.)
* Futures mixed: Dow flat, S&P down 0.11%, Nasdaq up 0.28%
By Medha Singh
March 3 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures were mixed on Tuesday, as G7 heads indicated willingness to take steps to mitigate the economic impact of the coronavirus epidemic, but stopped short of announcing concrete measures.
Wall Street's main indexes had soared in the final minutes of trading on Monday after their worst week since 2008 as central banks in Japan and the European Union joined the Federal Reserve in signaling further interest rate cuts.
But a statement https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm927#.Xl5OpmGbM1F.twitter from a meeting of G7 finance ministers and central bank governors on Tuesday only said they stood "ready to take actions, including fiscal measures where appropriate".
"I don't think there is a whole lot they can do. You may see some rate cuts in the U.S. but rates are already pretty low in the rest of the world," said Scott Brown, chief economist at Raymond James in St. Petersburg, Florida.
As of Monday, traders had fully priced in a 50 basis point reduction in borrowing costs from the Fed this month, according to CME Group's FedWatch tool, compared with zero just a week ago, as the virus spreads faster outside China. epidemic, which has crippled tourism, disrupted global supply chains and raised alarms of a recession, has now killed more than 3,000 people and spread to more than 60 countries. 7:54 a.m. ET, Dow e-minis 1YMcv1 were up just 11 points, or 0.04%. S&P 500 e-minis EScv1 were down 3.5 points, or 0.11% and Nasdaq 100 e-minis NQcv1 were up 24.5 points, or 0.28%.
Focus will also be on U.S. politics as 14 states hold primaries on Super Tuesday to choose the Democratic candidate to challenge Republican President Donald Trump in the Nov. 3 election.
Healthcare equipment maker Thermo Fisher Scientific (NYSE: TMO ) TMO.N , rose 4.1% premarket after it launched a $11.6 billion bid for German genetic testing company Qiagen QIA.DE . Advanced Micro Devices AMD.O rose 2.3% after Piper Sandler raised the stock to "overweight" on expectations the company would continue to gain market share from peer Intel INTC.O over the next several years. maker Tesla TSLA.O was up 6.7% after brokerage JMP Securities upgraded the stock to "market perform".
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.